As Software Engineer, you’ll be joining our team of six and focusing on back-end development. Your scope will be everything from writing great open-source code to making Open mHealth systems better and more widely adopted. You’ll be taking digital health data from disparate places, making it meaningful for patients and clinicians, helping toolmakers make their own data sets easily accessible, and helping researchers process and analyze health data. You’ll need to be able to zoom in on the fine-grained details as well as zoom out on the product roadmap, working alongside our other engineers, lead designer, product managers and data scientists.
Another major component of Open mHealth is our growing developer community. You’ll be continuously sharing your work with others, so documenting and being transparent about what you and your team are doing is critical for growing and nurturing the community.
Our open platform is built to encourage interoperability and adoption, so we use open-source technologies and follow best practices. We publish RESTful APIs that use OAuth for authorization and exchange JSON documents conforming to JSON Schemas. Our frontends are built in HTML, CSS, and JS using AngularJS, and leverage tools like Bower, Grunt, Karma, Jasmine, and Protractor. Our backends are built in Java and Spring, use MongoDB, PostgreSQL and other data stores. We build with Gradle, create Docker containers, host on AWS, and release often. We’re always interested in different technologies, and try to settle on what’s well understood and fit for purpose.
While Open mHealth is based in NYC, we’re looking to hire the best people, wherever you are in the world.
Skills & requirements
- A thorough understanding of all major Spring projects, Node.js, Express, and other mainstream frameworks
- Excellent knowledge of best practices, design patterns, and testing principles
- Solid experience using and administering Tomcat or Jetty, MongoDB, and PostgreSQL or MySQL
- Strong devops experience, specifically with Gradle, Docker, AWS, CI, and Git
- In-depth knowledge of HTTP and RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of Scala, Ruby on Rails, Python, Redis, and Apache Spark considered a plus
- You’ve shipped software products to market before and have at least 4+ years professional software development experience
- You’re a go-getter, a doer and passionate about building solid things. Not to mention you’re self-motivated, self-directed and always communicating.
- You want to help us break down the barriers to health data and change the face of healthcare as we know it
- BS or MEng/S in computer science, software engineering, or equivalent experience
- You can communicate effectively in both written and verbal form with engineers, funders, business executives, and healthcare professionals
- Proven telecommuting skills: self-motivated, self-directed, and aggressively communicative (if working remotely)
- Health (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Financial (403b) and Life Insurance
- Community Supported Agriculture Stipend
- Healthy activity stipend
- Flexible hours
- Work remotely
- We care about work-life balance
Open mHealth is an “at-will”, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in employment matters because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
How to apply
Send along a resume, cover letter and links to any work you’re proud of, especially on GitHub. Email everything to email@example.com, including “Software Engineer (backend focus)” in the subject line. Please send your resume as a PDF.