Open mHealth is building personalized, intelligent and data-driven healthcare through an open software architecture and intelligent solutions.
As Lead Software Engineer, your scope will be from writing and reviewing code to making critical decisions about how to scale the open architecture and related products. You’ll need to be able to zoom in on the fine-grain details as well as zoom out on the product roadmap and make strategic decisions.
You’ll be managing and motivating a small team of engineers and work closely with a cross-functional team of clinicians, data scientists, product managers and designers to define technical requirements, specifications, milestones and deliverables. You’ll also collaborate with our architecture working group which meets quarterly and is comprised of folks from Google, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell Tech, Wellcoin, Curious and Traqs.
You will also be the point of contact for all of partners’ technical questions and participate in industry meetings. Part of Open mHealth is our growing developer community. You’ll be continuously sharing your work with others, so documenting and sharing what you and your team are doing is critical for growing and nurturing the community.
The Open mHealth specification is built on HTTP / REST and our reference implementation stack is comprised of a Java servlet container and a default data store in MongoDB. Check out more details here. Open mHealth is built around community of developers and data scientists. Which means our code is freely available for all to use (under the Apache 2.0 license).
While Open mHealth is based in NYC and San Francisco, we’re looking to hire the best people, wherever you are in the world.
We also have great benefits like:
- Health, dental, vision
- 403b, life insurance
- Stipend for healthy activities (like yoga, the gym, zumba)
- Stipend for a CSA box
- Summer days
- Flexible hours
- The opportunity to work remotely
- We care about quality of life
Skills & Requirements
- In-depth knowledge of HTTP and REST
- Advanced skills in server-side web development stack (Java, node.js or any of the JVM languages). We’ve built the open architecture using Java for scalability reasons. But we’re interested in how you’d think through which language would be preferred given our product roadmap.
- Advanced skills on the front-end, meaning you can implement designs handed to you.
- You’ve shipped software products to market before and have at least 3+ years professional software development experience
- You’re a go-getter, a doer and passionate about building beautiful things. Not to mention you’re self-motivating, self-directing and always communicating.
- You want to help us break down the barriers to health data and help change the face of healthcare as we know it
- BS or MEng/S in computer science, software engineering, or equivalent experience
- You can communicate effectively in both written and verbal form with engineers, funders, business executives, and healthcare professionals
- Proven telecommuting skills: self-motivating, self-directing, and aggressively communicative (if working remotely)
About Open mHealth
Open mHealth is a non-profit (501c3) that’s paving the way for data-driven, integrated, personalized healthcare to be made possible through an open-architecture and intelligent software. We’ve focused the last two years on demonstrating what integrating disparate health data sources can enable. Today we are building compelling product solutions that improve the patient/clinician relationship and also clinical research.
Open mHealth is an “at-will”, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in employment matters because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
How to apply
Send along a resume, cover letter and pointers to any work you’re proud of. In the cover letter explain:
- Why you want to become the Lead Software Engineer at Open mHealth
- A description of a successful company or project you’ve lead most recently, and what made it “great”.
Email everything to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Lead Software Engineer” in the subject line. Send your resume as a PDF.