As Software Engineer, you’ll be focusing on front end development. Your scope will be everything from writing code to collaborating around how to make the Open mHealth platform and products better and widely adopted. You’ll be taking digital health data from disparate places and make it meaningful for patients and clinicians. You’ll need to be able to zoom in on the fine-grained details as well as zoom out on the product roadmap and work alongside our lead engineer, lead designer, product managers and data scientists.
Part of Open mHealth is our growing developer community. You’ll be continuously sharing your work with others, so documenting and sharing what you and your team are doing is critical for growing and nurturing the community.
Our open platform is built to encourage interoperability and adoption, so we use open-source technologies and follow best practices. We publish RESTful APIs that use OAuth for authorization and exchange JSON documents conforming to JSON Schemas. Our frontends are built in HTML, CSS, and JS using AngularJS, and leverage tools like Bower, Grunt, Karma, Jasmine, and Protractor. Our backends are built in Java and Spring, use MongoDB, PostgreSQL and other data stores. We build with Gradle, create Docker containers, host on AWS, and release often. We’re always interested in different technologies, and try to settle on what’s well understood and fit for purpose.
While Open mHealth is based in NYC, we’re looking to hire the best people, wherever you are in the world.
Skills & requirements
- In-depth knowledge of HTTP and RESTful APIs
- Advanced skills in front-end development, including AngularJS and data visualization.
- Some skills in server-side web development (Java, node.js or any other JVM languages). We’ve built the open architecture using Java because of scalability reasons.
- Would be awesome if you also knew: Gradle, Jasmine, Grunt, Gulp, Protractor and eager to learn iOS and Android development.
- You’ve shipped software products to market before and have at least 3+ years professional software development experience
- You’re a go-getter, a doer and passionate about building beautiful things. Not to mention you’re self-motivating, self-directing and always communicating.
- You want to help us break down the barriers to health data and help change the face of healthcare as we know it
- BS or MEng/S in computer science, software engineering, or equivalent experience
- You can communicate effectively in both written and verbal form with engineers, funders, business executives, and healthcare professionals
- Proven telecommuting skills: self-motivating, self-directing, and aggressively communicative (if working remotely)
- Health (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Financial (403b) and Life Insurance
- Community Supported Agriculture Stipend
- Healthy activity stipend
- Flexible hours
- Work remotely
- We care about work-life balance
Open mHealth is an “at-will”, equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in employment matters because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
How to apply
Send along a resume, cover letter and pointers to any work you’re proud of. Email everything to email@example.com. Include “Software Engineer” in the subject line. Please send your resume as a PDF.